Friday, November 13, 2015

I'm looking for a mind at work

I certainly never expected to become a school librarian and especially not in a private Islamic school, but it really has proven to be the right job at the right time. There are definitely stressful days and things I would change if I could (my kingdom for an assistant!), but most of the time, I really enjoy this job. I am learning new things constantly and trying to make the most of this unexpected adventure.

Things I love about my job:
  • Being told by the homeroom teacher the lesson I'm giving that day is perfect for what they're working on in class.
  • Collaborating with teachers to find that perfect lesson topic
  • Connecting the right book with the right student. 
  • Discussing books that a student loved that I also loved.
    • Especially when I recommended that book in the first place
  • Making students laugh
  • My students making me laugh
  • Making changes that work
  • Learning from changes that didn't work
  • Reading from the library collection
  • Helping students become self-sufficient library users
Yesterday was especially fun. It was a half day for the kids, so the Girls Elementary held a book and breakfast readathon. Most of their school day was centered around various reading activities, including the first 90 minutes just being reading and breakfast. And we all got to wear our pajamas. I enjoyed visiting most of the classes and having some time to just model reading for pleasure by reading my own book of choice while the students read theirs. 
What I wore to pajama day, with added Malcolm, since it's his favorite chair too. He didn't get up from this snuggle easily.

It didn't hurt that the school then provided lunch for the staff and let us go home two hours early ourselves. After a day like that, I honestly felt a little more refreshed to return to school today.

What are your favorite things about your job right now?

4 comments:

Heidi said...

I love the 95% of my customers who are really happy to be shopping at a craft store.
I love my employee discount!
I love being able to work in a happy, cheerful, and pretty place.
I love (most of) my coworkers.
I love it when people get excited about their projects and want to show me pictures of things they've made.
I love it when little kids come in and get excited about what they see!

AmandaStretch said...

Love it! I always think of you when I'm in my local Michaels. :)

Giggles said...

I love the smiles.
I love the giggles.
I love the random ramblings that are actually rather profound.
I love not having to wear shoes.
I love seeing what grown-up me is like when expressed from a 2-year-old and then trying to figure out when I said what she just repeated back to me completely out of context.
I love teaching.
I love snuggles.
I love cuddles.
I love the adventure.

AmandaStretch said...

Since I'm looking to having a very similar job to yours someday, I very much like the sound of those things!